A motion sensor outdoor light offers a nice way to upgrade your home’s security. It is an innovative outdoor light equipped with motion-detecting sensors that automatically turn it on when motion is detected within a particular range and angle.
It lights up and stays on for seconds so you can know exactly what is going on.
However, like any other product, choosing a good quality outdoor motion sensor light can be challenging. And that’s where we come in handy with our list of the best brands in the market.
Check out the following consumer reports to see which motion sensor lights we are giving the nod.
Our Top Picks
Best Overall: BAXIA TECHNOLOGY BX-SL-101 28 LED Solar Lights Outdoor. These LED motion sensor lights come in a pack of 4 and are solar-powered.
Most Efficient Motion Sensor: Amico 3 Head LED Security Outdoor Motion Sensor Light. It can detect motion up to 75 feet, and this makes it perfect for a large yard.
Widest Motion-detection Angle: Hmcity 2Pack Solar Lights Outdoor with Lights Reflector. It provides 270-degree angle illumination to keep your entire yard well lit and heavily protected.
Brightest: GLORIOUS-LITE Security Motion Sensor Outdoor Light. It generates up to 3000 lumens to make sure your patio, yard, garden, etc is nicely illuminated at night.
Budget-Friendly: YoungPower 56 LED Motion Sensor Lights Outdoor. Despite the low price point, this outdoor motion sensor light is fairly bright and serves its purpose.
10 Best Outdoor Lights Reviews
1. BAXIA TECHNOLOGY BX-SL-101 28 LED Solar Lights Outdoor
BAXIA TECHNOLOGY Motion Sensor Outdoor Lights are charged by sunlight during the day (8 hours) and, at night, they provide excellent illumination. They are energy-saving and cost-effective. They also feature a wireless design, and this means you will be spared the hassle of having to deal with wires during installation. The pack consists of 4 motion sensor lights to provide you with sufficient illumination at night or in dark areas.
You can install them on the wall, gate, patio, garden, fence, yard, etc. They turn on automatically when they detect motion within 10 feet and at an angle of 120 degrees. When there is no motion for 30 seconds, the lights turn off (automatically). A 180-day limited product guarantee period and a 30-day full refund policy come with these lights for a hassle-free purchase.
- No dim mode improves the lifespan and work-time of the lights
- 28 powerful LEDs provide unrivaled illumination
- Waterproof IP65 durable body makes lights well suited for an outdoor environment
- Contemporary design enables lights to blend beautifully with the modern décor
- Lights are well worth the money
- Light produced stays on long enough
- The on/off switch is a nice touch
- The motion sensor feature works great
- Screws could be better quality
2. Hmcity 2Pack Solar Lights Outdoor with Lights Reflector
Hmcity Motion Sensor Lights are a nice purchase because they are equipped with an enhanced PIR motion inductor. The inductor features 3 lighting modes, which are a security mode; permanent on all night, and smart brightness control. In security mode, the lights turn on when they detect motion. In permanent on, they turn on at night and stay on throughout the night, while, in smart brightness, the lights turn on all night and become brighter in case they detect motion.
Hmcity Outdoor Solar Lights are equipped with a highly efficient solar panel. The solar panel is, in turn, equipped with monocrystalline silicon cells whose conversion rate is up to 20.5-percent. In a nutshell, the solar panel of these motion sensor lights gives off 15-percent more energy than competitors. Lights meet CE, FCC, and RoHS standards plus they are covered by a 12-month warranty.
- Durable IP65 waterproof and heatproof design extends the lifespan of the lights
- 270-degree wide lighting angle provide large illumination coverage for up to 30 yards
- Versatile performance makes lights perfect for garden, yard, and patio
- White finish looks clean, unique, and modern
- Batteries are powerful enough to work reliably
- Lights work even during a power outage
- Great for the price
- Small enough to be installed anywhere
- Come on when someone is approaching
- It is difficult to tell which setting you are on
3. LEPOWER 35W LED Security Lights Motion Sensor Light Outdoor
Although the LEPOWER LED Outdoor Light is not solar-powered, it is energy efficient and will not cause an astronomical rise in your electricity bill. This light is also very bright and produces up to 3500 lumens at low power of 35 watts. Its brightness is due to the fact that it is powered by Samsung LED lamp bead. With it, you will be able to save more than 80-percent on electricity bills compared to when using equivalent 175W traditional halogen bulbs.
The LEPOWER LED Outdoor Light also features upgraded motion sensor technology. The technology triggers the light to turn on when there is a moving human, animal, or car within 72 feet. Furthermore, this motion sensor light has a wide detection angle of up to 180 degrees. When the light is triggered, the lighting time ranges from 10 seconds – 10 minutes. The light is suitable for the walkway, garage, driveway, backyard, porch, front door, and more. Plus this light is ETL certified, which shows that it is quality and safe to use.
- Upgraded IP65 waterproof design enables the light to stand up to terrible weather such as snow, sleet, and rainstorm
- Full aluminum construction boasts wonderful heat dissipation that enables the light to last up to 50,000 hours
- 3 security light heads are flexible and easy to adjust
- Professional optical designed filter lens provides nice illumination that is soft and with no glare
- Adjustable heads promote convenience
- Installation is straightforward
- Brightness is second to none
- Comes with all the electric connectors
- Motion sensor is very sensitive to animals
- A number of parts are made of plastic, but this does not compromise the light’s durability
4. Amico 3 Head LED Security Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
Amico 3-Head Motion Sensor Light is ETL certified to give you peace of mind knowing that you are using a light that meets all the tests for quality and safety. The light also has awesome brightness plus it is energy efficient. It uses 40 watts and boasts 3500 lumens not to mention producing 5000K brightness, which is daylight white.
Well, this is the equivalent of a 200W halogen bulb. So, if you do the math, this motion sensor light saves up to 88-percent of energy. Installing the light is so quick and easy a DIY enthusiast can do it without any issues. You can mount it to a wall; thanks to a few and simple wiring steps. The light is ideal for equipment rooms, storage rooms, workshops, industrial workstations, and garages, among others.
- 3 mode controls include Motion Detection, Dusk-to-Dawn, and Always-ON mode
- IP65 waterproof body protects the lamp from snow, sleet, and rain
- Motion sensor range is up to 75 feet
- Adjustable head promotes convenience
- Full aluminum back ensures excellent heat dissipation plus it is resistant to corrosion and rust
- Lighting covers a wide area
- Lightweight and easy to install
- Ideal for someone that lives in a rural area
- Motion sensor works flawlessly
- Adjusts to any angle effortlessly
- The light does not seem to work so well when mounted horizontally
5. Ollivage Motion Sensor Security Outdoor Solar Lights, 1 Pack
Ollivage Motion Sensor Lights turn on automatically at night. They are convenient outdoor solar lamps that do not need your intervention to keep your yard well lit and totally safe. When these lights turn on, they are normally in Dim mode, and they stay that way throughout the night. When they detect motion, these lights become brighter and stay that way for up to 30 seconds in case motion stops.
Before installation, you should consider pressing the On/Off button on the back of the solar panel to start the lighting system. Like other premium motion sensor outdoor lights in the market, Ollivage Solar Lights can be installed in many different places including the garden, backyard, patio, walkway, garage, front door, street, wall, windows, etc.
- 3 heads have 30 LEDs and can be rotated 360 degrees
- IP65 waterproof design enables lights to withstand all kinds of bad weather
- Built-in 18650 lithium rechargeable battery retains charge nicely
- Modern style will look really nice in your yard
- Versatile and reliable
- The brightness is wonderful
- Customer service is fabulous
- The adjustable feature is a nice touch
- Seems to have plenty of charge even on rainy days
- Motion range could be longer
6. LEPOWER 28W LED Motion Sensor Outdoor Security Light
LEPOWER Security Light produces up to 3000 lumens at low-power of 28 watts. Well, this is really great, considering that the light is not solar-powered. It saves over 80-percent of energy compared to equivalent traditional 140W halogen bulbs. The LEPOWER Security Light turns on when it detects moving humans, cars, or animals.
The motion sensor works up to 72 feet and has a detection angle of 180 degrees. This makes the light very efficient and great for what it is designed to do. It is ETL certified for safety and quality. Moreover, this light has a decent lighting time that ranges from 10 seconds to 10 minutes.
- Full aluminum construction dissipates heat wonderfully, thereby, extending the lifespan of the light
- Professional optical designed filter lens offers nice soft illumination
- Upgraded IP65 waterproof holds up well to all kinds of terrible weather conditions
- Modern style improves outdoor aesthetics
- Good quality and very bright
- The design is clean and sleek
- The mounting gasket offers nice protection from water
- The price is good
- Heads can be independently adjusted
- The center mounting screw could be longer so it can go past the mounting gasket without any problem
7. LIGHT IT! by Fulcrum Outdoor motion detecting porch light, 20031-107
Unlike most motion detecting outdoor lights, the LIGHT IT! by Fulcrum Porch Light is available in many different finishes. At the time of writing this, the porch light is available in Bronze, White, and Silver. These many different finishes make it easy to find what goes with your décor. The material this motion sensor porch light is made of is plastic.
However, this does not mean it is flimsy. If anything, the light is naturally resistant to corrosion and rust. Additionally, this light is battery powered, and, therefore, will keep working even during a power outage. It uses 4 “C” batteries, and it is so energy efficient that you will not need to replace the batteries.
- LED floodlight technology provides glare-free, ultra-bright, and ultra-wide coverage
- Weatherproof design protects against moisture
- Auto on/off ensures maximum safety and convenience
- Adjustable head rotates to make sure the light is exactly where it is needed
- Innovative mounting bracket allows you to remove the light from where it was installed for portable use
- Light comes and stays on when motion is detected
- The motion detecting range is fairly good
- Light stays on as long as someone/something is there
- Does not drain battery
- The price is great
- Not the brightest, but works well for what it is designed to do
8. GLORIOUS-LITE 28W LED Security Lights Motion Sensor Outdoor Light
GLORIOUS-LITE 28W LED Security Light features an upgraded motion detecting technology. The technology has a sensing distance of 0 – 72 feet and a sensing angle of 180 degrees. It also boasts a good lighting time of 0 – 10 minutes. The upgraded motion sensor senses moving people, animals, and even people in car.
GLORIOUS-LITE Outdoor Light also features a 2-head design that can be adjusted flexibly at any angle to meet your needs. Moreover, this light has a decent heat dissipation function that enables it to work efficiently for up to 50,000 hours. Plus it is designed in such a way that it can be mounted in many different places, including under the eave/soffit or on the wall.
- 2-head design gives a much wider light casting range
- Durable aluminum housing offers good dissipation performance
- IP65 waterproof rating enables the security light to stand up to snow, sleet, or rain
- Well-thought-out design allows you to install the outdoor security light in many different ways
More about the Product: This motion sensor security light is equipped with Samsung LED beads as well as professional optical filter senses. This enables it to generate up to 3000 lumens despite consuming just 28 watts.
It saves energy while making sure a super bright lighting experience is not compromised. Besides, this light is infrared interference-free, and, therefore, you can install your cameras next to it. When mounting the light on the eave or soffit, ensure the motion sensor is facing outwards.
- Appears to be sealed up really well against elements
- Very bright and is easy to install
- Very easy to adjust
- Very sensitive to motion
- Looks great wherever it is mounted
- The quality of the screws provided is not the best
9. YoungPower 56 LED Motion Sensor Lights Outdoor, 1 Pack
YoungPower 56 LED Outdoor Motion Detecting Light comes with a mounting base that helps make installation a piece of cake. The mounting base allows you to screw the light directly to the wall. Ideally, this light is suitable for gardens, stairs, porches, patios, garages, and backyards, among others. Its motion-detecting technology can sense movement from a distance of 26 feet.
While this is not the longest range in motion detection, it does not significantly compromise the overall performance of the light. Additionally, this light is one of the most affordable units in the market. The light also comes with 1-year quality ensured and lifetime technical support to make sure you have the best experience ever. The solar panel of this light uses light from the sun to recharge and then, at night, it provides awesome illumination for 12 hours.
- Heads can be rotated independently to meet your needs
- IP65 waterproof design enables the light to withstand any harsh environment
- Black ABS material is very durable and extends the lifespan of the light
- Color temperature is 6000-7000K (daylight white)
- 3.7V/2200mA Li-ion battery provides a working time of 12 hours
More about the Product: The manufacturer advises that before installing the outdoor light, be sure to push the On/Off switch. The light has 56 LEDs and 800 lumens per head. It can rotate 360 degrees and will switch to the bright-light mode for 30 seconds in case it detects motion. When there is no motion, the light stays on the dim-light mode to save power. Furthermore, this light can be installed anywhere since it is compact and only measures 150 by 89 by 108 millimeters.
- Easy to install and very bright
- The solar panel can easily be moved
- Light stays in place once moved into the desired position
- Does not need a battery swap
- The motion sensor is sensitive
- In dim mode, the light seems to only illuminate up to 10 feet
10. Biling Solar Security Light Outdoor LED Motion Sensor Lights
Most traditional motion sensor bulbs are designed in such a way that their solar panels are inseparable from the bulbs or lamps themselves. However, this is not the case with the Biling Solar Security Light. It features a solar panel that can be separated, and this not only makes it suitable for outdoor use but also the best motion sensor indoor light to buy.
Solar panel charges nicely in the sun and, at night, helps provide a wonderful lighting experience. It also ensures that this light saves up to 80-percent of energy. The light features auto-on at dusk and auto-off at dawn to meet your needs. Plus it is backed by a 1-year product warranty that ensures your interests stay intact. The light is suitable for steps, sidewalks, driveways, garages, front doors, backyards, and more.
- IP65 waterproof housing withstands severe weather such as heavy snow, heavy rain, sleet, etc
- 2 security light heads are flexible and easy to adjust
- Two 3.7V 2000mA 18650 lithium batteries provide reliable power
- Solar panels use monocrystalline silicon cells that improve conversion rate up to 20-percent
- Modern style gives the light a neat and sleek appearance
- It is worth every penny
- The range on the motion sensor is good
- Motion sensor is sensitive enough to be triggered by passing cars
- Installs without any issues and gives off plenty of light
- It is delivered very fast
- Does not work untill dawn
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Motion Sensor Light for Outdoors
The following factors further make it easier to settle on a good motion sensor light.
- Motion-detecting Sensors
Motion-sensing technology is the first feature you should consider when buying an outdoor light with motion sensor. With that said, go for a light with sensitive motion sensor that can detect moving people and animals as well as people in car. Furthermore, the light you are settling on should have a decent motion sensor range as well as a wide motion-detecting angle. A range of at least 20 feet is considered good. Similarly, a motion-detecting angle of at least 120 degrees is recommended.
- Waterproof & Heatproof Design
If you plan to use your outdoor lamp year in year out then you should invest in a unit, which is both waterproof and heatproof. It should be nicely sealed to keep off elements as well as to withstand terrible weather such as heavy rain, heavy snow, sleet, etc. Also, if possible, go for an outdoor light whose housing is made of aluminum. This is because aluminum has impressive heat dissipation.
- Ease of Installation
Your motion sensor light should come with all the hardware and detailed instructions to make installation easier even for a DIY enthusiast. The type of lighting system also determines the ease of installation. For instance, battery-powered motion sensor lights for outdoors and indoors are easier to install than that hardwired motion sensor lights.
- Energy Efficiency
Whether you are buying a hardwired or solar motion sensor light for outdoor, one thing remains unchanged – energy efficiency. Solar-powered motion sensor lights are no doubt energy efficient. Nonetheless, they can be pretty unreliable and if you do not like them for this and decide to settle on one that is hardwired, make sure it is eco-friendly and cost-effective. This means it should be equipped with energy-saving LEDs that allow it to put out plenty of light without consuming too much energy.
Best Motion Sensor Outdoor Lights: Conclusion
To sum up, the best motion sensor outdoor light has a sensitive motion sensor that detects moving people and animals as well as passing cars. It is also well built with ABS plastic or aluminum or both.
Plus, it is heatproof so it can last longer. Its weatherproof design holds up well to a harsh environment. Above all, a good outdoor motion sensor light is energy-efficient and puts out plenty of light to keep your yard, patio, or garden well lit and very secure at night.